Buscador

lunes, 30 de junio de 2014

10 quotes from "Blue Nights" by Joan Didion

Just finished it, an honest book, I love Didion.
C.

Joan Didion


1.
Time passes.
Memory fades, memory adjusts, memory conforms
to what we think we remember.


2.
This was never supposed to happen to her, I remember thinking – outraged, as if she and I had been promised an exemption- in the third of those intensive care units.


3.
Time passes.
Could it be that I never believed it?
Did I believe the blue nights could last forever?


4.
In fact I no longer value this kind of memento.
I no longer want reminders of what was, what got broken, what got lost, what got wasted.


5.
… objects for which there is no satisfactory resolution.


6.
I put the word “diagnosis” in quotes because I have not yet seen that case in which a “diagnosis” led to a “cure”, or in fact to any outcome other than confirmed, and therefore an enforced, debility.


7.
I had seen the  charm, I had seen the composure, I had seen the suicidal despair.


8.
Seasons in Southern California suggest violence, but not necessarily death.


9.
I tell you this true story just to prove that I can.
That my frailty has not yet reached a point at which
I can no longer tell a true story.


10.
There comes a time, I told myself, at which a family is, for better or for worse, finished.




- Joan Didion


No hay comentarios :

Publicar un comentario