Buscador

lunes, 14 de julio de 2014

15 Quotes from "A Lover's Discourse" by Roland Barthes

If you want to read the thoughts and feelings of the internal language of lovers, this book is a MUST. In this book, the language of the lover is actually silent, composed by the thought process the lover goes through when dealing with his/her relationship. Who hasn't been there? 
In this book, not only the writing is incredible but also the structure. Here some quotes I've selected for you!!

Enjoy,
C. 





1.
What the world takes for “objective,” I regard as fictitious; and what the world regards as madness, illusion, error, I take for truth.


2.
Open your lips and let it out
(be obscene).


3.
He suffers from having failed his own madness.


4.
I see the world – the other world – as a generalized hysteria.


5.
No one wants to speak of love unless it is for someone.


6.
It is obvious that I am in the process of fetishizing a corpse.


7.
Someone would have to be able to tell me: "Don’t be anxious anymore – you’ve already lost her- ".


8.
Someone tells me: this kind of love is not viable. But how can you evaluate viability? Why is the viable a Good Thing? Why is it better to last than to burn?



9.
I encounter millions of bodies in my life; of these millions, I may desire some hundreds; but of these hundreds, I love only one. The other with whom I am in love designates for me the specialty of my desire.



10.
Language is born of absence.


11.
…endured absence is nothing more or less than forgetfulness. I am, intermittently, unfaithful. This is the condition of my survival; for if I did not forget, I should die. The lover that does not forget sometimes dies of excess, exhaustion, and tension of memory.



12.
The future belongs to the subjects in whom there is something feminine.
(Roland Barthes citing a letter by E.B.)


13.
Amorous absence functions in a single direction, expressed by the one who stays, never by the one who leaves: an always present I is constituted only by confrontation with an always absent you.



14.
Now, absence can exist only as a consequence of the other: it is the other who leaves, it is I who remains.



15.
Discredited by modern opinion, love’s
sentimentality must be assumed by the amorous
subject as a powerful transgression which leaves
him alone and exposed; by a reversal of values,
 then, it is the sentimentality which today
 constitutes love’s obscenity.


-Roland Barthes


No hay comentarios :

Publicar un comentario