Buscador

domingo, 7 de junio de 2015

On how much we hate noise... Elena Ferrante Fragment


Tumblr.com

We discussed it, but quietly. I hated raised voices, movements that were too brusque. My own family was full of noisy emotions, always on display, and I felt that I was inside a clamorous life and that everything might come apart because of a too piercing sentence, an ungentle movement of the body. So I had learned to speak little and in a thoughtful manner, never to hurry, not to run even for a bus, but rather to draw out as long as possible the time for reaction, filling it with puzzled looks, uncertain smiles.

[…]


And to keep under control the anxieties of change I had, finally, taught myself to wait patiently until every emotion imploded and could come out in a tone of calm, my voice held back in my throat so that I would not make a spectacle of myself. 


-Elena Ferrante (Naples, 1943)
The Days of Abandonment


No hay comentarios :

Publicar un comentario