Buscador

martes, 27 de septiembre de 2016

Families, Poem by Fatimah Asghar



My boyfriend picks up his bloodline
like a simple phone call.


He has a whole book he's never opened
on an uncle murdered in The Sudan.


On christmas, we find his grandmother
hid him a gift before she even knew


he existed - a binder full of recipes
pulled from each corner of his blood.


*

My best friend says the word granddaddy
and it sails from her lips.


Even after they buried him, my best friend
Says granddaddy and a thousand horses


gallop, brandishing his flag. She says his name
and her spine becomes a mermaid, the whole


house oceans. My best friend says granddaddy,
each syllable honeyed with love and there he is -


sitting at the table, as though he's never left.

*

I say family and shine a light into a graveyard
I say mother and the word dies before I finish.




- Fatimah Asghar


Poem by Fatimah Asghar.
*Photo: Marina Abramovic

*Music in the background: Alexandre Desplat

No hay comentarios :

Publicar un comentario